Thursday, May 16, 2013

Awards

“A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.” 
-C.S Lewis


Somehow the end of the year is upon us and it is time to recognize the students for their hard work over the year. When I moved to 4th grade five years ago, I started a reading challenge in hopes to get the students reading some good literature. It is called the Newbery Challenge. The student who reads the most Newbery books over the year wins the challenge and their name goes on the wall of fame.

The Newbery award is given to the author of "the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children," each year. Some of these books have become some of my favorite books. My top three choices at the moment are: "Walk Two Moons," "The One and Only Ivan," and "Island of the Blue Dolphins." I try to encourage the students to read as many of them as possible.

This year is a special year for the Newbery Challenge. I will be rewarding a tie and giving out two rewards and posting two names on the wall! Two very special girls made an agreement on their own to tie and both win. It was down to the end and they were going back and forth between who was in the lead and the whole grade was anxious every time one of them would finish a book.

One day they asked me what would happen if they tied. I told them that they both would win. The conversation happened without me being present, but I wish that I could have heard it. To me, it showed character and respect for their classmate/friend to agree to this arrangement. Even more because it was thought of and decided on by them alone. It truly made me proud to see this unfold. *heart flutter*

I am honored to have taught these two girls and share the love of reading with them.

Each girl will be receiving a book and their favorite treat.

6 comments:

  1. I love your challenge, and I'm so happy they tied! Good job, Partner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait for the grand reveal!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so cool that they decided to do that! Love it!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations girls! Co-winners are a great idea.
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that was pretty neat and wondered what the story was behind that! Very cool! Neat challenge too...
    Jodi F :)

    ReplyDelete