Thursday, July 25, 2013

RAOK Success


Today kicked off my RAOK Campaign and I was pleased with how it all went down.

I decided to start simple and pay for the person behind me in line while getting coffee. I wrote out a card just saying that they had been blessed with a RAOK and that I hoped they had a good day.

Things didn't go as originally planned. I wanted to do a drive thru for the convenience, but since I was tired of driving around the big city (I am such a country girl driver) I settled for the first Starbucks I found, which did not happen to have a drive thru. Oh well.

So I went in with my card, extra money and my plan. I strategically placed myself at the end of the line and waited my turn. After ordering my drinks, I asked the barista if he would be willing to help me out. I gave him the card and the cash asking to give it to the next person to heed the call of the bean. I gave him cash since I didn't know how much the person's order was going to come to. I also told him that with whatever money was left, he could put it in the tip jar. I think he might have been impressed. He told me that it was a nice thing to do and then gave me extra after 2 P.M receipts for $2 coffees. I'll take it!

Sadly, I turned around and there was someone RIGHT there. Did he hear my plan? Was my cover blown. Not at all.

I can't decided if it was a down fall of watching the whole thing go down or if I liked it. A part of me felt both. So I watched the guy behind me, receive the card, open it, read it and then give it back to the barista. What? That's not what was supposed to happen. The barista makes eye contact with me after the guy says something to him that I was not able to hear. My heart was ready to be really sad, UNTIL...he then gave it to the old man behind him! I am not sure who actually got the free coffee, but I do know that the two men shook hands and introduced each other. The second man's name was Al and he was a cute old man. I know this was his name, because every person who worked there called out, "Hey Al!" with a large smile and a wave. He must be a regular! He made me smile.

So to sum it all up. It didn't go like I thought it would, but I did get at least three people thinking and I feel like that was a success. Seeds of kindness were planted or at least the thought of it. It doesn't really matter about the free coffee but more of the feeling and thought that came along with the event.

Here's to Al and my first RAOK.

What is something you have done for someone lately either stranger, friend or loved one?

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE that! You are such an awesome, compassionate, adventurous person. I love you to pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kris-and I can hear her saying exactly that!♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me! I rarely get take-out, but was in line at Zaxby's last week (Brielle loves their fries!). I totally had a plan hatched to pay for the person behind me. But then, the person at the window was a complete ditz and barely spoke to me as she completed my order. So, I chickened out (no pun intended...). Epic fail. Could kick myself for not being more bold and just doing it. Next time. I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it is an epic fail at all! You were thinking about it and planning. That is the first step. I would have to say that if the person at the window was this way to me, I too would have pulled out.
      One of the big componets of this project is stepping out of your comfort zone and being bold. THAT. IS. SCARY! Don't beat yourself up.
      Last night I went to the store and asked the young man behind the counter for some help and he was amazing! He made me so happy and I should have told him so then I thought that I should have gone and told the manager how great he was. Did I? Nope. So we all still have work to do.
      Please make sure to let me know how it all worked out for you!
      You make me smile!

      Delete
    2. I did it! I did it! Finally....today I bought lunch for the person behind me in a Taco Bell drive through. I was bold. I was brave. I was generous. I was random. I was anonymous. And I was thinking of you!!!! Thanks for the inspiration AND the encouragement!!

      Delete
    3. Woo hoo! Way to go! I am so proud of you! What can be better for the person behind you than free tacos! Doesn't it feel good? Hopefully the person behind you spread the love along.

      Keep up the good work! *Heart flutter*

      Delete