Tuesday, November 26, 2013

342

Random number? I think not (ok maybe a little bit.) Three hundred forty two is the number of books I have read since January 1, 2007.

For some odd reason I decided that I was going to read 1,000 books before I die. Why 1,000? No idea. Just sounded like a good number at that moment in time.

Now seven years later I have read 342 of them and have big plans for the next 658 books.

I also feel like I need to tell you why it is 342 and not a normal round number. It is simply because the pack of papers I have to write to books on ended at 342.

To "celebrate" this mile stone, I decided to share ten books that really stand out on the list. Some of them will be series and some jfic books, but none the less, outstanding books.

  • Even Now and Ever After by Karen Kingsbury
I have never felt a book more down in the depths of my heart as I have with these books, especially Ever After. I felt so much while reading this book that I actually wrote to the author! I have always felt that if you felt true emotion, no mater the emotion, then the author has truly done their job. I have not reread either of these books and don't know if I will, but I do think about them often and the impact that they had on me. They sit proudly on my "to cherish and keep" shelf.

  • The Stephanie Plum Series by Janet Evanovich
Laugh out loud, might have to change my underpants funny books. I love these books and enjoy how easy and quick they are to read. I first read these books in a very dark time of my life and there were times that these books were the only thing that could even make me smile. They are silly and all tend to read the same, but that doesn't stop me to eagerly await to read the newest book. Team Ranger or Morelli?

  • The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham
I hesitated putting this on the list. I really liked this book, but fear that if I read it again, I might not. I don't know why. This is not one that I have on my shelf yet, but would like to get it. I also enjoyed the movie and have seen it a few times. I actually liked the movie ending better than the book ending. I recommend this book often to others looking for books to read. No one has taken me up on the recommendation, so I don't really know what that means.

  • Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
I have read this book at least three or four times and know that I will read it again. I don't know if I can explain what draws me to this book. It is a jfic book and probably is geared more towards middle school students and has also won a Newbery Medal. The heart break and longing that Sal has for her mother is almost heart wrenching. I found that the last time I read the book I could connect with Sal more than I had the time before. I mentioned this book in this post.

  • Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts
There are a plethora of gems in this book. Sadly, I can't remember any of them and don't have my book here with me. I hope to reread this book again soon. It is one that can be read over and over and still make your *heart flutter* One of my favorite parts is towards the beginning when Novalee Nation is way pregnant and has to go to the bathroom. She begs her guy to pull over so she can go (without knowing that this is the point where her life will change.) As she finally experienced the relief of release, she laughed because she found the small pleasures in life. Sounds like a *heart flutter* to me.

  • The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
If you haven't read this book, then you need to. I couldn't put this book down and recommend it first to anyone who is looking for a book. I also can't wait to see the movie! The figurative language in this book is outstanding! I have read a few of Zusak's other books and this one by far is my favorite.

  • The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Now who couldn't cheer when Minny served her pie to Hilly Holbrook? Sweet revenge to the fullest. Skeeter is a remarkable woman who stands up for what she believes in and takes action. I also loved the fact that she wasn't a "beautiful" woman but she was radiant in my eyes for her strength. I have even seen a few toilets in yards and busted up laughing. I thought that they did a good job on the movie too.

  • The Grandma Dowdell Series by Richard Peck
Another jfic book series, but one that makes me smile and almost brings me to tears. I LOVE Grandma Dowdell and here sense of justice. The way she goes about it in her own way is usually laugh out loud funny. She teaches her two grandchildren (and others in her small town) a few lessons here and there. There are three books in the series and where the third one is not as good as the two before, I am still including it in the list. I really enjoyed reading it with some of my students and teaching them some history to go along with it.

  • The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate
Such a sweet book and outstanding illustrations. I laughed out loud and wanted to throw "me balls" at people at times. A great story about friendship and loving others. It gives me great pleasure to see this book floating around my classroom from student to student. I understand completely why it won the 2013 Newbery Award.

And finally....
  • The Anne of Green Gables Series
Be still my beating heart. It isn't a secret how much I love these books (and I am not even finished with the whole series yet.) I can quote several parts of the book and do so often. I love Anne. I love her spirit, her desire for life and how she sees beauty in everything. Even when she is in the depths of despair she still manages to try to find her way out. For instance when she thought that Marilla was going to send her back, she asked if she would call her Cordilla. This way she could experience having the name she always desired to have. What difference did it make what Marilla called her if she was going to send her back anyway?  Also who can't laugh at all the troubles that Anne gets herself into?

Well that ends this list. There are so many good books out there that it was hard to narrow it down. Hopefully I inspired you to read at least one of the books if you haven't already.

What are some of your favorite books?

4 comments:

  1. I love a few of these on your list!! What an accomplishment! See...I knew there was a good post in your llist!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you get #20, I need to borrow it and read it. May you continue on your journey to 1,000 in total bliss.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Stephanie Plum series! Have you checked out Rizzoli and Isles or any of the books "Bones" tv series is based on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not! What are the titles? I will look into them. Thanks for following me and for commenting!

      Delete