Thursday, February 12, 2015

When Fathers Get to Pick

YES! I have NOTHING planned tonight! I can do whatever I want, and what I want is to sit and write a blog!

Today we had our Valentine's Day party at school, and there was excitement everywhere. I was handing out pieces of tape to students to hang up their envelopes when one little girl in line says,
"I don't want to hand out my Valentines."
"Why not?"
"Their stupid."
"What do you mean? What are they?"
"Hello Kitty," she answered with a wrinkle of her nose.
"Why did you pick them out if you didn't like them?"
"It isn't my fault! It's my dad's! He picked them out!"
I couldn't help but giggle. This little girl is not a Hello Kitty kind of girl. I then told her the story of my dad picking out my first pair of glasses.

When I was in the third grade I started the eight year process of braces and the life long journey of glasses. The world should have felt sorry for me for sure! I still remember both doctors appointments to begin the process of getting braces and getting glasses. For some reason my dad was the one who picked out my first pair of glasses. Now keep in mind that it was the late 80's/early 90's, but dad came home with clear plastic frames with colorful confetti and hot pink temples.
I don't have a picture of the actual pair, but these are very similar. You will at least get the idea.
I think that I liked them at the time, but looking back now, they were horrible!

This story makes me smile, because I can imagine my dad and this young girl's dad standing in front of many different options fretting about picking out the right one. They wanted to please their little girls. like all good fathers do.

No comments:

Post a Comment